I hope to broaden my daily writing time to make up for my 'hunt&peck' keyboard ways. I am committed to seeking typing classes. The way it was explained to me was God gave you more than just 2 fingers, so use them all the best way you can. Makes sense since writing usually means paper and pencil to me.
Trouble is, my train of thought is much faster than typing on a keyboard, so by the time I get part of my thought out of my head, I lose the rest of it before I can throw down a period.
Getting someone else to type it out for me into the computer has become a hardship at times since most people have a life and would rather be doing the 'life' thing. So starting now, I am throwing down the legal pad and using a keyboard exclusively and Windows Notepad to transcribe my stories directly into the computer.
It is amazing to note that typing classes are hard to find in my area, but I have been fortunate to find a tutor who claims she can have me typing 15-20 word per minute in a few weeks. If I hadn't spent most of my life fishing, I'd be better at doing things like this. Come to think of it, fishing was a way out for me. I played hooky 60% of the time from school and the other 40% of the time trying to catch up my studies, which got me nowhere. Luckily I have a lazy mind and found fishing and reading went together like tomato soup and oyster crackers. On the days I couldn't find anything to read ( which by the way, I was suspended from using the library,) because I never returned them on time or just forgot to return them. So on those 'off' days, I just let my mind wander down the road of the 'what if'. I got better at fishing and at attempting to pick up a pencil and write down my stories. I just wish I had them now, but I stashed them in a safe place away from the criticism they would get if someone read them. So safe they are, no one not even I can remember where I stashed them.
Funny as it may sound, but learning by 'doing,' has always been the way I accomplished what I know and what I do best in life so far. I don't think that I am that different from most when I say, find someone who is the best at what they do and latch on to them. Beg them to train you and with a little luck you will end up better than your teacher. I became a successful bricklayer that way and I didn't have to finish high school to do that!
Spend some time figuring out how things work and you too may become a magician at it. I consider writing my hobby right now, but I believe the one author I admire the most is too busy spending his money than to teach me what he knows, so I guess I'll do some more of that 'learn by doing,' thing.
These days when recreational reading, I combine a sense of study along with it. I literally take the story apart in my head and study dialogue, narratives, and so forth. I think this makes me a better writer. Later up the road, time will tell. If other readers like me have an understanding of human frailties, then I as a writer will be forgiven.